2002 Jetta TDI Oil Cooler Retainer Cap Nut Size?

The lower cap on my 2002 Jetta TDI -- the one that retains the oil cooler unit onto the bottom of the filter housing (or so I infer from looking at a (borrowed) exploded drawing) -- has a hex nut head molded into its end, to facilitate removal.

Does anyone know what size socket will fit?

At initial oil change since purchase, I used a Vise-Grip to remove the cap. Very gingerly, as it's plastic.

I'd like to use a socket, but no one locally can tell me what size to use (my attempts to measure it brought back caliper readings from 32.8mm to 34.2mm -- poor access, miserable visibility, the technique of a tyro).

Not even the dealer knows. When I questioned their service section directly, they gave me a blank look and said, "We never remove that. We remove the oil filter unit top cap before pulling the pan plug, and it all drains just fine."

I've only changed the oil once since purchase, but my (non-engineer) impression was that the bottom cap had to come off. Otherwise, some oil would remain no matter what removal sequence I followed.

I searched tdiclub.com's FAQ and articles sections, and such items are not addressed.

Reply to
sddso

Nope, not required to remove to do oil change. The correct way is remove the filter first and then the oil drains back into the oil pan. Then drain oil pan to get the rest out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

When I attempted this, there was still a substantial amount of oil pooled around the central hollow pillar that holds the bottom of the oil filter element. There are two holes in the bottom of the filter mount from which oil won't drain unless the oil cooler element is removed.

The questi> Nope, not required to remove to do oil change. The correct way is remove the

Reply to
sddso

Don't know, but if VW felt it necessary then it would require that during an oil change. Also don't think customers would be happy paying the extra time in removing that item. And I bet there's more oil laying in the cylinder head and oil passage ways than under that cap.

Reply to
Lost In Space

As noted, don't worry about it. Pull the filter and then drain the oil from the bottom. There may be a little you don't get out but not a problem. If you are really worried, get a Pela and pump the oil out through the dip stick tube and from bottom of the oil filter (what I do).

JEB

02 TDI Jetta
Reply to
JEB