20K service, fuel filter, power loss at startup

I just had the 20K mile service on my 2003 Golf TDI last week, and I'd like to solicit opinions here before telling the dealership they may have done something wrong.

Symptoms: shortly after a cold start (but more than 30 seconds after), I have a "hesitation" or power loss at low throttle levels. This is while driving in what I call "granny mode", waiting for the engine to warm up and/or driving for efficiency (in other words, driving slowly enough so the turbo does not kick in). The car will jerk slightly when this happens.

I did not notice this before the 20K service (engine would run rough for the first 10 seconds or so after start). This current issue feels like a fuel-feed related problem- 20 years ago I had a Ford Escort that was in a flood, which gave it clogged carbuerator jets all the time. This power loss "feels" the same, although it is temporary- once the engine has been driven a little while and has warmed up, the problem disappears.

So, the questions:

Are the engine computer parameters adjusted at the 20K service?

Do I need to wait a while for the new fuel filter to "break in" or something?

Could the new fuel filter have more flow restriction at low flow rates than the factory one?

Is it possible the dealership improperly installed the fuel filter, and if so is there any way I can check?

Should I purchase a fuel additive to clean the fuel system before contacting the dealership?

-- Brian Hall Linux Consultant

Brian Hall

Well was the fuel filter the only thing done? You should have a receipt with a list of what they did.

In any case, my first guess it there may be a little air still in the system and it is working its way out. However if it concerns you, call the dealer and see what they say. I suggest you tell them only facts, like "It hesitates after a start" and not guesses, like "It may be air in the fuels system."

Reply to
Joseph Meehan