505-01 oil for TDI or die

Well, great, for the last 25K I have been using Castrol 5-40 Synthetic but it is'nt 505-01. VW says the engine should be destroyed shortly. It's an early 2001, and nobody told me about this 505-01.

Reply to
Jeff Austin

It doesn't apply to your version of the TDI.

It is only for the 100 Horsepower version...you have the 90 HP version.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It depends on which TDI you have. The PD engines are more sensitive and the older engines. Just change to the correct oil.

Also improve your TDI knowledge at

They have a forum especially for oils and fuel.

Reply to
Ernest

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. The Syntec oil is very good stuff. There is better oil out there if you really want to spend the money though.

I'd say at least 80% of the TDI owners out there are using Syntec oil and yet we don't see the TDI engines crapping out everyday. In fact, we see them getting lots of miles racked up on them.

The only engine failures I see due to oil has been from no oil (busted oil pan) or not changing the oil.

Reply to
Pencilneck

The 2001 VW TDI cars sold in the US don't require VW 505.01 rated oil. They can use oil with any of the following ratings: VW 505.00*, ACEA B3*, ACEA B4*, API CF-4, API CG-4, API CH-4, API CI-4. The ones with the * are met by Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

The VW 505.01 requirement is for 2004 VW TDI engines sold in the US.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee