91 Jetta TD - Wolfy, some questions

Friend of mine just got a new VW

1991 Jetta Wolfsburg, Turbo Diesel

He was wondering if the power locks (all functional!, including truck and gas cap), the tilt steering, upgraded seats with what seems like a reinforced lumbar support, and improved illumination (over a Golf of the same age), and 13" aluminum alloys were all part of the Wolfy package, or if he has a higher level Jetta or some option package.

The big deal is the engine. Today was -10°C with the wind, and like 5-10 seconds for the glow, and it started with barely a flinch of the key......

270+K Kms on it, but engine work has been done. The thing only puffs faint whisps of smoke on gear changes, and he floored it and it wasn't too bad at all for black smoke. Has plenty of pickup to it as well.... My TDI was of course keeping up no sweat, but I was impressed by how well it moved. He drove it "normally" and I didn't feel like honking and swerving aggressively to go around, I was perfectly content.

He also wanted to know if $2500 CND was a good price, this included cert (it is certified, but still needs some of the minor things like new mirror lenses and a new door handle... the guy just passed it, and is fixing all this for him for free, but he wants the car on the road... BTW he is buying off a VW/Audi mechanic), E-test (passed), he put on 4 new tires, a rebuilt alternator (to fix the tachometer not working), fixed the trunk lock and gas tank lock, fixed an exhaust leak right off the exhaust manifold, and he will fix all the small things when he has more time.... The only thing wrong really is that the sidemarkers don't work anymore.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Central Locking was an option, but tilt steering, upgraded seating and big bumpers were standard from mid-1990 On. The car should actually have 14" rims and not 13" if they are the original rims. Me thinks that they aren't, being that it's a '91. The only difference between a Wolfie and a regular Jetta is that the Wolfy has the special badging and possible a sunroof and time delay door lamp. I know my '90 Wolfy has 14" Alloys, time delay door lamp, heated washers, heated mirrors, central locking, power windows, cruise control was deleted (grrr...) ABS, Sunroof, Ski Sack and upgraded velour seating.

aggressively

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Technically speaking, all TD's were built in Wolfsburg and thus carry the badge. I really wonder if any of the VW diesels came standard or likely even optional with 14" wheels. Sure the TDI's and GTD's but US Eco diesels??? Loren

Reply to
LBaird119

Wolfsburg was a special edition...there were Jetta models built in Germany that wern't Wolfsburg Editions. All A2s carried the Wolfsburg Crest, as did some A3s. Many TD Jettas did come with 14" wheels as well.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman