1.8T Oil Saga Continues

I took my 2003 Passat 1.8T in today for the coil re-call. While I was there, I thought that I'd check what story the dealer was telling today about the oil they use. The dealer's service staff has told me 2-3 different things in the past. They seem to have a hard time getting their story straight. Here's what I was told today.

  1. They use Castrol 5-30 dino. Well, that's what they finally fessed up to using when I called a week ago after first claiming that they used 5-40.

  1. It comes from VW and not from Castrol. That is, the dealer gets it from VW, not from a Castrol distributor. Like, who cares?

  2. I asked about syn. I was told that the dealer would use Catrol 5-30 syn if the customer requested it. When I called a week ago or so, I was told that the dealer wouldn't put in syn. even if the owner requested it and paid extra for it.

  1. I asked about the use of 5-30. I remarked that the owner's manual specifies 5-40. The dealer's service rep said that the manual also says variation is OK depending on local conditions. I then noted that the Passat is designed and made in Germany which is quite a bit cooler than the local climate (SW USA) and that, if 5-40 was good for Germany (upper 70's F. on a typical summer day), then it should be good for our climate (4-5 months of

90+ F; another 3-4 months of 80+ F). I could see using 5-50 or 10-50 due to local conditions in place of the factory recommendation of 5-40 based on Germany's climate. Using a thinner oil in a hotter climate didn't make sense.

  1. The rep then changed his story. He said that VW RECOMMENDED 5-30. I asked why VW didn't put this in the manual or issue some announcement, bulletin, or something to owners. The rep shrugged his shoulders. I then asked why VW would put 5-40 in its manual, but then tell dealers to use

5-30. He said that VW had noticed that 5-40 was CAUSING PROBLEMS -- messing up the sensors. The rep never offered to show me anything issued by VW to support his story.

I don't remember ever reading on this list that VW actually recommended 5-30 in hot climates. Is there even a scintilla of truth to his assertions? Has VW recommended 5-30 to dealers for the 1.8T? Is 5-40 causing problems? Is the rep and/or dealer just a liar? I'm not asking if you can get by with

5-30; I asking for the official VW line even if it's only told to the dealers.
Reply to
tf

I don't have the equipment to safely and easily rotate the tires which also needs to be done. I'd also rather have a mech do the change. The mech issue has nothing to do with what oil is correct and whether the dealer is spouting nonsense.

Reply to
tf

But if this dealer is spouting nonsense and is not using the oil that is preferred in manufacturer recommendations, can you really trust its mechanics to do a good job?

Why not go to a different shop (dealer or otherwise) for the maintenance, if you are unsatisfied with the explanations from this dealer's shop?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

I'm not going to take the car the dealer for the oil change, but when I do get the oil chagned I'd like to know if I should use 5-40 -- like the manual says -- or whether I should use 5-30 which the rep claims VW wants the dealers to use. That's the main issue. Is VW really telling its dealers that the 1.8T should actually use 5-30 even though the manual says 5-40 or is the rep/dealer a fool or liar? Is he spouting nonsense or not? I strongly suspect he's wrong whether or not he knows it. I don't remember ever reading on this list anything like the guy is saying, but I figure the dealer employees who visit this list would know if VW telling the dealers to use 5-30.

Even if it is, I'm not going to the dealer 'cause his people can't get their story straight and can't stick to it.

Reply to
tf

Welcome to the world of dealer recommendations for oil in the Passat.

I asked about 5 dealers and got about 10 answers. As I said in an earlier post, if I'd kept calling, some dealer would have told me they use canola oil.

I take my Passat to an independent shop, recommended by a friend with a Mercedes Benz. This shop uses Lubro Moly (a German brand) synthetic oil in either 5W-40 or 0W-40, whichever you request. He also uses Mann filters.

My advice to you is to find a similar place. Ask friends, relatives, or acquaintances where they take their German cars - VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, or Porsche. You will usually find a place where the owner is a car nut just like us and will use only good quality synthetic oils and OEM filters. What's more, these places are not outrageously expensive. My guy charges a lot less than one dealer in my area, but a bit more than a couple of others.

Reply to
4Motion

that's kind of what i suspect -- making up bulls**t rather than telling the truth and doing what's right. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't just being cynical.

Reply to
tf

Name a conventional or synthetic blend 5W-40 oil sold in the US.

(If you are referring to group III oils as "conventional or semi-synthetic", then yes, group III 5W-40 oils are available, but these are generally sold as "synthetic" at "synthetic" prices in the US, which is what is the relevant characteristic as far as whether a shop offering oil changes will (not) use it for low price oil changes.)

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

So far nobody has verified the service reps' story about VW actually recommending 5-30, so I guess it was just nonsense.

Since nobody's confirmed the rep's story, I plan to use synthetic -- either

5-40 or, as you recommend, 10-40.
Reply to
tf

My 2003 manual states the factory fill is 5w-40. If you cannot find

5w-40 then you can use 5w-30. What does your owners manual say?

"tf" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

As stated in the beginning of this thread, the manual says 5-40: "I remarked that the owner's manual specifies 5-40."

The gist of this thread is that the local dea/er's service manager claimed that VW had advised it not to use 5-40 even though this is in a hot climate. I was checking whether anyone had heard of VW recommending 5-30 NOTWITHSTANDING what the manual states. There is no question -- even with the local dealer's staff -- that the manual says 5-40. That's not the issue.

The issue is whether this is a bunch of cr*p being spouted by the service manager or whether VW is actually saying to use 5-30.

recommended

assertions?

Reply to
tf

Castrol (the first that comes to mind) makes a 5W-40 conventional oil. It is available to service providers in 55 gal drums.

Reply to
dmkozak

proof?

Reply to