82 pickup (gas) electrical problem

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice from all of you. I recently bought a really nice vw pickup. I recently spent some time trying to put a new cd player in and I think I must have knocked something loose in the dash.

The symptoms are: Warning bulbs do not light up when ignition is "on" fuel gauge doesn't move

And the serious problem that I didn't notice until just now is that the alternator does not appear to be providing power to the ignition system.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm going to run through the "alternator light on" procedures in the rabbit book.

thanks, Edwin Knuth

Reply to
Edwin Knuth

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edwin Knuth"

Have you checked the main connectors going to the board yet? One of these getting knocked loose would cause multiple functions to stop working.

HTH, Chris

Reply to
Chris Z.

Alternators need battery voltage to start delivering power. Battery voltage is supplied through the small gauge wire connected at the alternator and comes from the alternator warning light circuit in the instrument cluster. This means that if your instrument cluster is not receiving battery voltage from the ignition switch, it would explain all your symptoms.

I do not have the wiring diagram for your car, but start by checking if the fuse for the instrument cluster is good. If the fuse is fine, take it out, turn on the ignition and measure voltage between ground and each of the two fuse terminals. You should see battery voltage at one terminal, not the other. If you do, it is a problem with the connection from the fuse box to the instrument cluster. Otherwise it is a problem with the connection between the ignition switch and the fuse box. (Unlikely, a lot of things would not work is this were the case).

My gut feel>

Reply to
Randolph

It was a fuse. Thanks for all the help.