91 celica electrical problem

I have a 91 celica GT 2.2L and am having problems some electrical problems, I'm not sure if they're related. I think they are. The problems I'm having are the dome light doesn't come on when the door is open but it works when set to the on position, but when it is set to turn on when the door is open it doesn't work. Also, the warning buzzer for lights left on without the key in the ignition doesn't work. I have left the lights on several times and drained the battery. also there is a light around the ignition that should come on when the door is opened and stays on for a while so you can see where to insert the key. This light is not working either. I have a Chilton book for Toyota Celica's from 86-93 but can't find any clues from the schematics in there. Does anyone have a clue on this one?????

any help is greatly appreciated!

SED

Reply to
specialpatrolgroup

Most likely, the door switch is stuck in the off position. Look for the switch in the door frame, usually near the bottom corner. Carefully peel back the rubber cover, spray some WD-40 and get the plunger loose, working it in and out a few times and then replace the cover.

Reply to
Ray O

Almost for certain this is it....some vehicles don't even have a rubber protector over the plunger...as Ray says spray it and I'll add take one of those little jeweler's screwdrivers and see if you can pry the plunger out (it'll be stuck 'into' the hole), take care not to damage the plunger. The ones I've seen are made of plastic or nylon.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks guys. I checked the door switch and it wasn't stuck but that made so much sense to me as the problem that I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner down into the switch and worked the switch several times and that did the trick. The funny thing is the switches on both sides had the same problem so i did it to both and they both work. it's probably due to the age of the car and the fact that I live in cleveland where we put a lot of salt down on the roads in the winter

Thanks for your help!!!

Reply to
specialpatrolgroup

Ok...fairly common problem in 'salt country' for sure!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

You're welcome! It's nice to know some of my suggestions actually work!

Reply to
Ray O