84 rabbit convertible additional info

I ventured out into the rain to look at the rabbit again after finally discovering that the line I was looking at was a line for hooking up exhaust analysis gear. I plugged it and drove around. Still no power. Reving the engine with my hand over the exhaust. Weak stream of exhaust coming out the back. I now assume that some debris suddenly clogged the exhaust system which caused enough back pressure to blow the old plug off.My muffler has a couple of holes in it. Could something internal in the muffler cause the clog? Or is the clog farther up in the cat? I glanced under the car and saw the cat. It's a cute little thing. I bet it will be a bear to remove. Or are the bolts easy to get a cutoff wheel on? I've been spendin great gobs of money on finishing my 66 beetle resto so I don't want to spend unneccesary money on this. If the cat needs replacing I'll probbably do it myself . I'll farm out the muffler. Any thoughts on trouble shooting this and the job of repairing it. Or could other things be going on? Thanks. Shane

Reply to
shane cummings

Depending on what kind of muffler it is, it could go either way. However, I would guess it to be the cat. Those bolts are a pita to get off. Especially if it's the original cat. Do you have to do emissions tests? If you do, your ognna need a new one. If you only need a visual inspection to make sure everyhting is there...go to a junkyard and find a non emissions rabbit. Get the hood. put it on your car. Get rid of cat. There is usually an emissions sticker on the inside of the hood that tells the inspector what's suposed ot be there. If you jsut switch the stickers and dont have a boyscout of an inspector, youd be ok. but it's easier to change the hood. They can tell when the sticker has been switched. If youve got no emissions at all, just get rid of the thing.

Be aware...What I told you could be illegal where you live! Be careful, take my idiocy with a grain of salt, and for gods sake if you've got environmental or lawful morals, dont do it! Just a disclaimer.

--Andy P

"shane cummings" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Andy Pronobis

Simple check if the cat is caca, drive it at night for a while and park it. If the cat is glowing like a mofo, it is cat convertor meltdown.

Reply to
Mustangbrad