85 Jetta - Dies when accelerating

My daughter's 1985 Jetta GLI (1.8L CIS-E) dies when beginning to accelerate, but only after the engine has just been started. The engine can be hot or cold, it doesn't matter. After re-starting and attempting to speed up the engine 2-3 times, the engine runs fine. The engine has 147,000 miles and uses about a qt. of oil per 2,000 miles.

Any ideas as to what the problem is.

Wayne

87 GTI 16V 82 Scirocco 74 Bug
Reply to
Wayne Faas

fuel filter, fuel pump, distrubitor try in order

Reply to
Joe

Joe's suggestions are a good start. I had a similar problem and it was the mass air flow meter that was faulty; it was basically starving the engine of air. This is an expensive replacement, so try what Joe said first.

The Dude

Reply to
sonodude

Is the transfer pump making any loud buzzing noises (it's inside the tank on the passenger side of the car)? If you hear it at idle, it's straining or cavitating or whatever *they* call it. Try turning the key to the accessory position (you'll hear the fuel pump pressurize) then off, 3 or 4 times, BEFORE trying to start the car. If this works, perhaps the fuel system isn't pressurizing properly.

Any other symptoms?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl