85 Jetta Fuel Pressure test - bad differential pressure regulator?

Those who scan my name on here will find that I've been chasing a starting problem on an '85 Jetta for way too long. However, the car runs after I get it started, and there are, after all, only 91 miles of road in Juneau, Alaska, where I live, so it's very difficult to get around to trading it off, particularly when I have this garage full of spare parts, a really well-thumbed Bentley, and access to a really well-equipped university auto shop for five hours every Friday night for about $400 a year in course fees.

The car is an 85 Jetta GL with an auto tranny and CIS-E injection. The problem is that I'm the only person who can consistently start it. When I bought it eight years ago, it was a matter of getting in the car, turning on the switch, letting the fuel pump stop running, and hitting the starter once.

About three years ago, the trouble began. At first, it appeared temperature related, but now it does it all the time. I get in, turn on the key, let the pump do its thing, and then turn the key to start. Sometimes, it starts right up just like the old days, but other times, the starter just turns the engine with no fire. When it does this, I can sometimes get it to start by "feathering" the gas pedal a little - sort of like pumping it. Other times, I have to turn the key off, and, usually, turn it on and off a few times so the pump cycles, and then, with a little feathering, it will start, run for a few seconds like it's flooded, and then it smooths out.

Sometimes, when I do this cycling the pump thing, the car acts like it hydrolocking. The starter will spin, and then it sort of "grunts," and (usually) starts after the "grunt."

The car gets 20-22 mpg in mixed driving, not bad for a 23-year-old 1.8 with an auto tranny. It just acts up when I try to get it started.

In earlier posts, I've listed the work so far. Over the last four years (!?) I've replace the transfer pump, the fuel accumulator, the oxygen sensor, the cold-start thermo-time switch, the coolant temperature sensor, and the o-rings and shrouds on the injectors.

So, the latest development is that I managed to adapt the auto shop's fuel pressure tester to the banjo fittings on the '85, and carefully ran the procedure on pages 69-72 of the Bentley for CIS-E Fuel Pressure Tests and Specifications.

I set up the tester gauge with a T-fitting with a valve on one line connected to the cold-start valve feedline, and pulled the screw from the fuel distributor test port (neatly hidden away under the air conditioning line) and hooked up the other line from the gauge T. I pulled the electrical connector off the differential pressure regulator (DPR), and pulled out the fuel pump relay and rigged a jumper that I could insert between the two big holes in its socket. Then I ran the tests.

I got a system pressure of 79 psi, which is in the 76-81 psi range in Bentley table k (p. 70: fuel pump relay jumpered, valve open, DPR connector disconnected).

When I disconnected the fuel pump relay jumper, the pressure dropped back to 42 psi and stayed there for the ten minutes suggested in the residual pressure specifications table m ( p. 71: at least 38 psi and steady).

I got a differential pressure of 74 psi, smack dab in the middle of the suggested range of 72-76.1 psi (Table l, p. 70: 2.9 to 7.0 psi less than my system pressure of 79 psi - fuel pump relay jumpered, valve open, DPR connector disconnected).

The final test consisted of hooking a 15 k-ohm resistor across the coolant temperature harness connector and reconnecting the differential pressure regulator with an ammeter inserted into the green-white wire going to pin 2 of its connector.

The Bentley says the pressure should have been between 61.5 and 69 psi for my car (10 to 17.5 psi below my 79 psi system pressure), while the differential pressure regulator should have drawn 50 to 80 ma of current.

I got the same differential pressure as when the ignition was off: 74 psi. The meter indicated a current draw of .01 ma (ignition on, fuel pump relay jumpered, valve closed , DPR connector reconnected).

Quoting The Bentley page 71:

If both the pressure and the regulator current are out of specifications, look for an electrical problem. Check all wires and connections. Check for a good ground connection at the cold-start valve. If no other faults can be found, the electronic control unit is probably faulty.

All the wiring looks OK, and the connectors all pass the wiggle-and- pull test. The cold-start valve is functioning correctly, and appears to be well grounded.

There's 7.4 volts on the green-white wire going to the differential pressure regulator with the ignition on, and I measure 18 ohms across its terminals with the ignition off, both within spec.

The troubleshooting charts indicate that the car should run rough and get lousy mileage if the DPR is shot. This is not the case with my car. As I said, after I get it started, it runs fine and gets decent mileage.

So, the question for the VW gurus: what are the failure modes for a differential pressure regulator? What should I do next?

Reply to
PatAL7L

Well I think you need to look at the ignition. IF the cold start valve is functioning then at least the engine should start right up. You state that it is hard to start, so I suspect a no/weak spark at the plugs. which plugs do you use?

Usually I find a bad DFR will cause driveability issues and/or non-starts. You can test the Fuel Injectors by pulling them out of the head and checking for their spray patterns.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

When you check the ignition parts also check if the hall sensor in the distr. is pulsing while cranking: measure the voltage bounce between "o" and "-" on the distrb. plug.

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:F%%0l.9873$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...

Reply to
SFC

On my 84 with a hall sensor I removed the wiring harness and cleaned the connector from the distributor and the connections on the wiring harness with TarnX. It is rather strong cleaner that works as opposed to some contact cleaners that seem to do nothing. I rinsed the TarnX with water. Blew dry and greased up the connections. No more ignition problems. On my 84 I had a fuel pump relay fail in the driveway.

I also had some starting issues that I fixed by replacing my fuel distributor from an 85 car. On an old car I look at all the fuel screen in the fuel distributor and anywhere else there might be a screen. After that my shadetree skills let me down.

I think that same car burned up a high tension lead from the coil. I replaced both the coil and the high tension wires after that happened.

I have also replaced >When you check the ignition parts also check if the hall sensor in the

Reply to
Jim Behning