'86 Golf Diesel

Can you tell me how to tell if the glow plugs need replacing - the car won't start and i suspect that a glow plug or two needs relpacing.

Same thing happpen about a year ago and we paid an astonomical amout to have 2 relpaced, and don't want to pay that amount again...

Thanks

Reply to
bob

start and i suspect that a glow plug or two needs relpacing.

relpaced, and don't want to pay that amount again...

You can test and replace them yourself fairly easily:

If it suddenly got hard to start, I would suspect the fusible link that supplies power to all 4 plugs. Usually they will start fairly well w/ 3 plugs, with difficulty with 2 plugs.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Yeah what Roger said, but what is an "astonomical amount"? $200 parts and labor??

dave

I am also wondering who would replace just 2? If two are gone, I'd do all at the same time. The parts are not that expensive.

Reply to
Tony Bad

snip

Remember that 2 are very easy to get to and can be changed in about 15 minutes. I agree with you though..........change all four. I found another use for my GearWrench wrenches......they make this job go really fast and easy!! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Good point! They probably pondered removing the injector pump and bailed!

Reply to
Tony Bad

I just replaced all four (Autolite $10.00 each at Advance Auto) yesterday and it took me about 3 hours. You'll need an 8mm wrench (a

5/16 will work) for the bus bar nuts, a 12mm line wrench for the glow plugs, and a 17mm line wrench for the injector fuel lines. If you get tired of dropping the bus bar nuts when reassembling, try spraying some disc break quiet on your finger and sticking the nut to it. Do not over tighten these nuts as the stud breaks easily.

Since it's that time of year, I'd replace the fuel filter ($30.00 at Advance Auto).

Does anyone know where the 50a glow plug link is on a 1986 Golf Diesel? It was on the firewall for my 1982 and I've heard that they can be under the dash but I've never been successful in locating it.

Reply to
Linux Boone

SNIP

Same spot, or it should be! Follow the fat wire from the glow plugs, maybe someone bypassed the fuse and hooked both wires to one screw/terminal.

dave

hey guys, I need to change glow plugs in 84 Jetta. I think I need to remove the fuel lines to get to two of them. Is there any gaskets or seals needed to go back on the fuel lines? Those 2 glow plugs seem very hard to get to. Also any pointers, as I have never changed glow plugs on any vehicle before. Thanks, kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Do you have the manual for you car?

Yes taking off the lines and hoses makes the job go faster. ;-) I had bought some of the Gear Head Ratcheting wrenches (non-flex heads) and this made a glow plug replacement job go really fast. :-) I think I only got an 8mm Gear Head wrench in the set and that alone really made the difference. You will at least need an 8mm wrench, a 12mm wrench and an open 17mm wrench for the lines. After you finish then keep the lines loose at the injectors until the air leaves the lines and fuel comes out of them while you crank over the engine.

No seals or gaskets needed, but keep the injectors covered so no junk gets inside of them.

Have fun! later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No, it's not. At least on my '85 Diesels the glow plug link *is* under the dash on the relay panel near the steering column. The fuse link is under a snap-off clear-plastic rectangular cover. (I doubt VW moved it back to the firewall in '86.)

Denny Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

Yes, removing the fuel lines makes the job much easier (vs. impossible?). Also, I've found the "magnet on a telescoping rod" (available almost anywhere) to be indispensible for pulling the plugs and bus bar nuts up from behind the fuel pump and then use it to locate and start both the plugs and nuts putting it back together. (Also for retrieving the nuts you're sure to drop.) I use long handle box-end wrenches of the appropriate sizes to reach them. Not as difficult as it appears, just takes a steady hand and a little patience. Good luck.

Denny Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

Thanks Denny, I have only worked on A1 Rabbit diesels and only two A2s, 1986 Jetta and a 1989 Jetta. IIRC both had the glow plug fuse on the firewall in the engine compartment. I really don't remember the 1986 that much anymore and have never seen an A2 Golf Diesel yet.

Golfs must be different, although I don't know why VW would have changed it. I knew that if the OP followed the glow plug wire they would find the fuse though. lol

I need to really examine a TDI to increase my knowledge some before I get one of those........inexpensively I hope.

I learn something new everyday! lol later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Sorry, my mistake. I thought A2 Diesel Golfs and Jettas were essentially the same, except for the body style. As you said, you learn something every day.

Denny Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

One would think so, but the US-made A2 Golfs and GTIs generally had significantly different electrical systems from their German-made Jetta counterparts. They got more harmonized with the CEII system around '89 or so.

Reply to
Matt B.

As I recall 1989 was when they phased out the US plant in favor of Mexican produced golfs and jetta's for the US. I've owned 4 85 & 86 golf diesels and the electrical is indeed very different then German 85-86 jetta diesels that I've also owned a number of. As for TDI's, most of the US one are produced in Mexico (jetta's and new beetles) and Brazil (golfs). I've owned a 99.5 "new" jetta and a 96 passat tdi and they are fantastic. The newer ones have a intelegent glow plug relay that has 2 circuits and when the current draw differs between the two, indicating a bad glow plug, the CEL light comes on.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

My 91 Jetta has the fuse on the firewall...in the same spot as my 79 Rabbit

Reply to
Tony Bad