1998 Golf advise?

My son is looking at a 98 Golf that has 60k miles on it. It is a 4 door automatic. This will be his first car. They are asking $6k for it. It is a one owner CA car. We have always been a Honda family so this is new for us. We're used to reliability with the Hondas and from what little I've read reliability isn't one of VW's strong point. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Or is there a site or forum that has alot of FAQ's for VW Golf? Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Nicklas

Try

and post in the Golf/Jetta III forum. ThisNG is OK but you'll get a lot of answers there too.

Reply to
Matt B.

I have a 98 GTi 2L 5speed 98k miles. I've changed the oil and filters regularly. The only problem I've had was the battery. After 6.5 yrs, the water had evaporated. All I had to do was top it up, and now it's starts just like new. The only other maintenence was a tune up at 55k miles. I can't speak for your golf, but I haven't had any problems with mine. Spencer

Reply to
spfra

As far as price goes, check kbb.com and edmunds.com to find out the value of the car.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid