86 Golf Diesel Coolant warning light- what the normal range of temp. gauge.

What is the normal coolant temp gauge supposedly to be?

My Golf has a gauge that looks like: (Left to right) white area, then two dots, temp symbol, then to more dots, then a slash line. My needle runs right over the temp symbol, which is almost 1/2 way to the middle.

I blew a hose recently so I know the indicator light works. I repalced a hose, filled the coolant as mentioned before. Water pump works. If the level goes down after repeated top off's, would,nt tan oil be a sign of a leaking head gasket?

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

I wouldn't worry unless it moves into the red (far right). Often, mine sits towards the left but when I idle for a long time (or drive hard in hot weather) it sits in the middle. As far as the leaking head gasket- tan oil could indicate a blown gasket, so could white colored exhaust (REALLY white)- also the car would probably be running rough- though, in truth, there's no surefire way to tell.

Reply to
Ears