86 GTI oil leak & no 'oil temp' reading

Hi,

I noticed my digital 'oil temp' reading stop giving a temp, it would read '---'. At about the same time I noticed I have an oil leak. I cannot locate the leak upon quick inspection. Haven't had time to get underneath the car and get dirty. soon. The oil is on the drivers side of the engine and on top of the tranny (oil on the tranny scares me, i just did the clutch in march, I don't need an oily clutch disc because oil leaked in somehow). The leak is not the valve cover. darn, would've been easy.

Looking at my bentley manual, I'm thinking 'oil pressure switch' is bad. does this switch supply the data for the oil temp?????? would this make sense, oil leak and all.???? Or maybe the switch seal is bad, OR the oil is leaking from the seal between the oil cooler flange and the engine block. (these assumptions are made by looking at the exploded drawing in Bentley manual(pp3.43).

Anyone had experience on this. I beat this car 200mi a day delivering pizza's, and I should resolve this asap. I love the car and get many thumbs up from other GTI's on the Milwaukee streets. Sometimes people ask "You want to sell that VW?", no I don't.

Thanks Danny '86 GTI 142k

Reply to
Dan