87 16V - Blown Head Gasket

Posted previously as 87 16V running rough.

After finally running a compression, suspected that the head gasket was blown between 3 & 4 as the pressure was only 55 psi on both. This was proven true after removing the head.

Any words of wisdom on replacing the head gasket? It was replaced about

80,000 miles ago when a broken belt forced replacement of the exhaust valves. Current engine mileage is approximately 180,000.

Wayne

Reply to
Newsgroup (Wayne Faas)

My dad showed me something regading that many years ago. Spray both sides with aluminum paint, two coats both sides, not aluminum colored paint. Its a 4 step procedure, allow drying time between turning and before applying second coat.

The head and the engine block mating surface should be pristine before assembling.

Reply to
Jonny

Aluminum paint on the head gasket? I am curious. What will that do?

I have used that spray copper head gasket sealant, but not regular aluminum spray paint.

Still trying to learn! lol

Reply to
One out of many daves

not a good thing to do on VW! And besides if it was required then VW would say so. I would be more worried if the cylinder head is flat!!!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Aluminum paint fills in the gaps with mild problems with sealing. No problems with any aluminum parts, its aluminum paint. Gets air on it, oxidizes outer surface, and its done. Cuprous oxide don't work that way. Oh well, I tried.

Reply to
Jonny