'95 VR6 Jetta No Reverse

Just the other day I went to back out in front of my house and found out my '95 Jetta GLX-VR6 (113k miles) didn't want to shift into reverse. It's an automatic transmission and when I shift it, it seems it gets stuck in neutral. I tried transmission fluid conditioner/treatment. That did nothing.

All of the driving gears work fine. It's only reverse that I'm having trouble with, which has me thinking (or hoping) that it's only maybe a minor adjustment on the tranny that may have to be made. If not, I was told I'm looking at spending $1,000-$1,500 for another transmission plus the labor fees to have it installed.

If any one has experienced a similar problem or could offer some advice, please reply.

Reply to
NPNoonan

Yep a minor adjust is all that's needed. All kidding aside it could be as easy as the reverse solenoid is bad on the valve body to a more serious problem such as a clutch or other mechanical problem A good VW dealer can do what's called an AG4 test which checks everything out to determine what's faulty. Figure about 4 hours(max) labor for doing the test.

Reply to
Woodchuck