89 Jetta cooling system

89 Jetta 1.8 no coolant flow out overflow tube back into reservoir. New thermostat installed(180F), coolant added plus some Bars Leak to seal small leak.

Heats up to 1/2 way on gauge, switch does not come on(works when 12V added) for fan, and starts to bubble out overflow.

Clogged radiator? Head gasket?

Paul

Reply to
Simplstupd

I have seen a coolant bottle's lower outlet completely sealed up with some type of "Stop Leak" product. I am not too fond of the sealers!

You need to check to make sure that you have gotten all of the air out of the system and that hose that you talk about is clear.

Does the radiator get hot? All four corners? Do you get heat inside the vehicle? I usually don't see the rad. fan come on until the gauge goes past 1/2 about

1-2 times. I watch the gauge and you can usually see when the thermostat opens (temp drops down) while testing the corners of the radiator for hot coolant flowing by them.

AFAIK if you first start the engine and the coolant sytem becomes pressurized, then I would worry about the head gasket.

dave