89 Jetta - Fascia Panel Screws

Hi,

My 89 Jetta....

My Fascia Panel is rattling like hell, and I discovered that one of the screws might be missing.

I'll try to describe what I mean...

Under the rain gutter in the engine bay (the plenum??), there are 2 screws holding the Fascia Panel, one for each side (Passenger and Driver). The Passenger side screw is still there, and it's easier to access, since the wiper mechanism is not in the way.

I felt around for the Driver's side screw between the wiper mechanism, and I can feel that there's a screw hole without the screws, which correspond well to where the loose fasica panel rattles the most.

Question is, where would you find the corresponding location of this screw inside the cabin?

I teared off the instrument panel cluster, the fasica trim, and put my hand inside and felt around, but I couldn't seem to find the location of the screw hole... Lots of insulating material, and I can't see clearly around.

Can somebody help me out with the location?

Also on this topic, what size of bolt and nut are used? And I understand that you need to put a sealing washer in between.. (Don't think you need the factory "VW bolts" here..)

And, would rain go into the cabin through this hole if this the screw is missing? It wet really bad inside when it rained big one day.

Thanks for any tips.

David

Reply to
David Lo