Musty A/C (1998 S70)

The Air Conditioning in my 1998 S70 yields a musty smell. Is there a filter in the system that can be cleaned? If not, is there anything else I should look for to clean it up?

Tx,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock

There is a filter under the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. Since you don't know about it, it's probably due for change. If changing it doesn't help, then you need to try the evaporator cleaning advice.

Reply to
Mike F

Do I access this filter from inside the car or inside the engine compartment? Driver or passenger side?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:45:26 -0400, "Ian Stock" wibbled about:

If I recall correctly is approx dead centre underneath all the plastic where the wipers etc are.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

My '87 740 smells a bit icky sometimes too, is it the same deal with that?

Reply to
James Sweet

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:16:01 GMT, "James Sweet" wibbled about:

Or the spilt milk on the floor....................

You just have to figure out whether its coming from the airconditioning or not

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Fungus build up causing a musty smell is very common on evaporators in all cars.

Reply to
Mike F

Open the hood. The filter lives under the panel that the wiper pivots come through. All you need to do is remove the two screws on the passenger side of this panel, and disconnect the drain hose. You can then lift up this edge and see the filter. I generally recommend that you remove the wiper arms, both hoses and all 5 screws and the panel the first time, just so it's easy to see what's going on.

Reply to
Mike F

Definitly AC, it smelled fine until I fixed that and started using it.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:05:15 GMT, "James Sweet" wibbled about:

You could always try one of the sprays and see whether it fixes it.

Reply to
Sean Nugent