89 Jetta starter

Looking for tips on how to change my starter, 89 Jetta 1.8 automatic.

From below I can see 1 of the bolts. Other than that I can not see the solenoid or anything else. Does the axle have to come out?

I have a manual and Alldata but it seems to generalized...

Reply to
Simplstupd

If you are sure that the starter is bad.

Removing that axle makes things easier. :-)

Starter has 3 bolts holding it to the bellhousing and maybe 1-2 going into the block. Starter should have a heat shield making it hard to see the 3 bolts. I usually disconnect the positive cable at the battery and the starter energizer wire over the trans so I can pull the starter out along with it's wiring, or at least far enough to be able to disconnect them at the starter. You need to have the proper length 3/8" extensions on your 13mm socket to make the job go easier. I have air tools. You also might be able to loosen the 'hidden bolt from the top, but I do all from underneath the engine. I have also done this without removing the axle, but I wanted to try it this way and I think I had to remove the heat shield, and the bolts/nuts that hold it on are usually rusted, and wiggle things just right to remove the starter around that axle.

good luck and let us know how you do it! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave