Mondeo starter motor removal

Anyone changed the starter motor on a 1.8 petrol ?97 Mondeo and care to give some advice?

Haynes make it sound easy (been here before): Remove air mass meter and resonator to enable top 2 mounting bolts to be removed.

Under the car to disconnect the wiring to the starter/solenoid and then remove third mounting bolt to free the starter. Reverse procedure to refit.

Now I can get the mounting bolts out but it is removing the wiring that is the problem. Access from below is very tight but I have removed the two 13mm nuts I can see on the back of the solenoid. There is a black shroud/connector here terminating three black wires, two heavy and one thin. The shroud doesn?t want to come off. Do I lever the shroud back off the back of the solenoid or is there something else to do to get it off? A bit concerned that brute force at this point will snap the plastic and it will turn out to be an essential item. All this isn?t helped by a tie bar in the way that looks as if it may stop the starter being taken out from below.

Jon McD

Reply to
Jon McD

the wiring comes off as one lump, you remove one of the two 13mm nuts and the 10mm nut, then the whole wiring bit comes off in one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the tip - I hadn't seen the 10 mm nut. Must have a look with my mirror-on-a-stick thingy to see where it is.

Jon McD

Reply to
Jon McD

This is turning into a job and a half. Got the new starter in place but the wiring connector doesn?t want to go back. Fit one ring tag over the

13mm bolt but then the 10mm bolt doesn?t line up enough to go through centre of its ring tag. Either the ring tags have moved in their plastic housing or the spacing between the bolts is slightly different on the exchange starter. Access and visibility is too restricted to see exactly what the problem is. Anyone come across a problem like this, and found a solution?

Jon McD

Reply to
Jon McD

The tags are movable, if it is sufficiently annoying then break away the plastic and bolt them on individually, just make sure they don't touch down where they shouldn't.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the info. Now I know that the tags have some float it gives me a bit of encouragement to try again - with breaking the housing as a last resort.

Jon McD

Reply to
Jon McD