8v 1800 gti engine rebuild troubles

I have replaced the head gasket on my 1987 Mk2 GTi and I am in a bit of a mess. After putting it all back together it runs but its really not right. I think the timing belt is on one tooth out but I cannot fathom out the timing marks no matter how hard I try. The head was stripped by a garage for the previous owner but I think he might have replaced the camshaft sprocket on back to front. In trying to solve the problem I have removed the lower pulley and have lost the notch marks to replace it in the correct orientation. Can anybody suggest how I can ensure the timing gear might be aligned correctly without having these notches etc.

Reply to
8vjon

You can always use the timing marks on the flywheel. Unscrew the big plastic nut on the gearbox to get to it. Sometimes the cam sprocket has two marks, one on the outside and one on the inside. You must never use the one on the outside! Line it up with the edge of the valve cover with the engine in tdc.

SFC

"8vjon" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

Not rocket science, so dont' give up...

Put it on backwards? I don't think that is possible!

So you *ground off* the index lugs? The timing belt pully can only go on one way, there is a notch in the crank to align it up. The 'fan' belt pullies can only go one way, there is an index hole and a 'mark' on the timing belt pulley. They must match.

THey *are* there. Trust me...

OK:

  1. Put the engine at TDC, cylinder #1. Exactly TDC, not close. Confirm with the flywheel timing marks.
  2. Turn the aux shaft (goes to the distributor and oil pump) so the rotor tip is at the #1 plug wire position.
  3. The mark on the aux shaft and the main fan belt pully should match.
  4. Put the cam shaft so that the valves on cylinder #1 are both (equally) closed. The timing mark on the cam pulley should be at the valve cover edge of the head at the front.
  5. Without disturbing these settings, put on the timing belt. Tension it correctly. Make sure when tensioning the timing belt you rotate the idler pully in a clockwise direction or the timing cover won't go back on.
Reply to
PeterD

and double check that the #1 piston is at TDC by removing the spark plug and carefully checking that it is at it's highest point. Then check the markings on the flywheel to see if they are correct.

Reply to
One out of many Daves