Temporary blowby?

I let the oil change interval go by too long. About a year, 6K miles. Normally speaking the oil never gets black as can be, just dirty looking. And, never lost a drop of oil. Last oil change had maybe 1.5 quarts in the pan, plus the filter contents. Oil was very black and thick. Lifters were clicking louder than usual. The valve cover gasket was leaking, and a leak appeared around the oil pressure sending unit at the oil filter housing. The dip stick showed clean oil and being full????

Replaced the valve cover gasket, flushed the integral screen on the valve cover with gasoline many times while removed from the engine. Changed the oil twice in 2 weeks along with a new filter each time in hopes of flushing out whatever the symptoms were trying to tell me. Its been 500 miles, dip stick says good oil and full. Partially removed the oil plug on the pan, good oil there too. The leak still exists around the oil sending unit, and the oil seems good there as well.

88 Fox GL wagon

This is a mystery to me. Any clue?

Reply to
Jonny

none2u

change that leaking oil pressure switch before it blows!! I don't think the stock Foxes got oil sending units, but I could be wrong. :-) If yours has one, what are your oil pressure readings? Might be too high.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

There's two type of oil pressure sending units. One that sends electrical data regarding a specific pressure to operate a pressure gauge. The other, either opens or remains closed, depends on the pressure to remove illumination from the oil light on the instrument cluster. I have the latter. From best self-estimation, takes 1/4 second for the oil light to go out after starting.

Foxes came with either version already mentioned, that is oil pressure sending unit for a gauge on the dash as an option. A digital clock was also optional. My VW dash clock is the analog quartz version that always runs unless the battery is disconnected or signifantly depleted.

I am tempted to buy a replacment oil pressure sending unit, and hold it to see if the old one blows and spews oil. Its been leaking for 3 months now. When can I expect the gulley washer oil explosion from the sending unit?

Hope someone can explain the blowby symptoms that disappeared, purpose of my post. 88 Fox GL Wagon.

Reply to
Jonny

Reply to
Lambert Moonen