Engine timing question.

Hi, I've had the head skimmed on my 1985 VW Passat 1800CL. Since doing that I've noticed that the two engine timing marks, one on the fan belt pully and the other on the intermediate camshaft sprocket, which should be aligned with each other cannot be because reducing the head has moved the main camshaft sprocket (on the head) closer to the intemediate camshaft sprocket and since the two are connected with a toothed timing belt aligning them is no longer possible. The head has not been reduced by more than that given in the specification. So my question is should I have used, if such a thing exists, an oversized head gasket to make up for the reduction in the head or shouldent the difference matter. The marks are out by about 3mm.

I'm trying to find out why my engine is running lumpy after having the head skimmed. I've overhauled the ignition and the carburettor without result. Many thanks.

Roger

Reply to
ukdodger via CarKB.com

Yes you can get thicker head gaskets but its not really needed. If its just the intermediate sprocket that isn't lining up get it as close as possible & reset the ignition timing at the distributor.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Thanks Craig. That's worth a try. Didnt think of that.

Reply to
ukdodger via CarKB.com

Also make sure that the camshaft mark lines up with the valve cover when cyl

1 is at tdc...Check for loose vac. lines and rubber gasket mount of the carb.

SFC

"ukdodger via CarKB.com" schreef >>Yes you can get thicker head gaskets but its not really needed. If its >>just

Reply to
SFC

Thanks SFC. I've checked the camshaft mark and for loose vac line. Both Ok but havent checked the rubber gasket. It's the only part of the carb I disturbed when removing it. If it's that I'll really kick myself. Cheers.

Roger

SFC wrote:

Reply to
ukdodger via CarKB.com

Just wanted to say thanks Craig. I retarded the ignition which hadnt occured to me and lo and behold it's improved it by 90%. It still sounds like one cylinder isnt firing right but I have a feeling that's a different problem. Cheers mate.

Roger

Craig wrote:

Reply to
ukdodger via CarKB.com