91 Golf 8v exhaust replacement

Hi all, I have a 91 golf gl 8v. The exhuast has at least one leak, a shot muffler, and annoying rattle that has finally gotten the better of me; so i'm replacing it this summer. I'm going to start ordering parts soon and I'd like to know if you guys had any tips or things I will find out I need half way through. I plan on replacing everything except the cat, manifold and on.

I've been reading and it sounds like manifold cracking is a fairly common symptom for older cars (I just passed 170k). From what I've read, I should be on the lookout for an 8v dual pipe manifold? What year range will fit? Can I get this new/order from somewhere or do I need to spend some time in a junkyard?

-Matt

Reply to
mini chifa

The only problem I can think of is removing the two mufflers. They are usally rusted and hard to remove so just cut them of. Clean the joint and use some exhaust sealant on the joints when mounting the new one. Also check the rubber mounts!!

SFC

"mini chifa" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

Sawzall works wonders here! Junkyard on the manifold and downpipe might save you a few bucks, or ebay might work for you too. That is IF you need them. Of course watch out for rusted or breaking studs on that cylinder head and use new gaskets and brass locking nuts.

Are you going with a stock exhaust or do you want something more?

should have something more.Stay away from those chain muffler places unless they are installing the exhaust that you purchased somewhere. JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I plan on going with a stock exhaust. I'm only planning on keeping the car a few more years. But if a few extra bucks will get me something worthwhile i'll go for it.

-Matt

Reply to
mini chifa

The single outlet/toilet bowl manifold has a tendency to crack, the dual manifold is pretty solid. All 8V A2 (85-92) dual outlet manifolds are the same. The Corrado G60 (all years) is slightly different but is completely interchangable. Gaskets are the same on all models.

The dual downpipe is the same on all the cars that have the dual manifold as well as all 16V A2 (87-92) cars (not sure about the 16V Passats or Sciroccos). The dual downpipe however features the flex coupler which tends to have its own issues. If you go with the dual manifold you have to use the dual downpipe.

The Corrado G60 downpipe is very similar to the naturally aspirated dual downpipe, but the flange to the cat is different. I believe you should be able to make it work, but you will need to make sure you get the gasket for the Corrado G60. The Corrado flange is like a big slab of metal thats welded in place. The gasket is similar to a standard exhaust manifold gasket, whereas the NA version is like a floating coupler which uses a metal doughnut. I suspect the Corrado version is a better design but its a little harder to work with.

One other thing to be aware of. I'm not sure where the O2 sensor on your car is located, but the dual downpipe/manifold do not have O2 sensor bungs. The O2 sensor bung is located in the cat. If yours is in the manifold this will present an issue for you. If yours is a 91, I'd suspect its in the cat, but then I'd also suspect you already have the dual exhaust setup.

A rattling exhaust is usually just a sign that its misaligned. You can often just go under the car and tweak a few things, replace the hangers, etc, and the noise will be gone.

Speaking of hangers... There are two types, the regular ones, and the chain style. The chain style are better (its a rubber coated chain), but they are more expensive, harder to find, and significantly harder to install. But they also don't break and have your exhaust fall off on you. Its something you may want to think about before replacing the exhaust.

Another thing to think about is if you just want to buy a catback system like a Techtonics or Eurosport, or something similar. Its cheap, decent quality, and all the pipes and muffler are all set up for you, it just slips together.

Reply to
<no

My O2 sensor is certainly not in the cat, I replaced it a few years back; I remember reaching pretty far, so it's either in the downpipe or the manifold. I currently have the single pipe manifold, with the c- clips. I've recently replaced one of the clips after it snapped on me midway through a 400mi drive. I've been doing some pricing and it looks like I can do the whole exhaust system for ~$600 from techtonics. This system eliminates the first muffler so will the exhaust be louder or will the volume remain the same? I'm not too keen on having a louder/flashier exhaust, but if i'm going to spend the time replacing it, i'd much rather spend a few extra bucks and have more fun with my car in the end.

I just checked out the engine today, is the easiest way to approach removal of the exhaust manifold from above? So I'd need to take off the intake manifold, fuel injectors (cleaned out the injectors a year or two ago and they all had a nice spray), fuel rail... is the anything I should think about replacing/cleaning while i'm in there?

-Matt

Reply to
mini chifa

Spray some rust penetrant on those exhaust manifold nuts over the next XX days. They are the worse part of the job. Yes I usually do them the same way you are..........from the top. If you need some heat for those nuts.....and you don't have the big torch maybe: MAPP gas torch or maybe even a Heat Gun might work. It will take longer, but I have used one successfully for other rusted bolts/nuts.

I think if you eliminate one of the mufflers = more noise and you might not be happy. :-(

Three wire 02 sensor can be put onto the cat, or right before it if needed. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'd disconnect the downpipe from the manifold and then get the manifold off from below. I haven't done it in a long time, but I don't think its neccessary to take the intake manifold off, but maybe my memory is fuzzy. And I've never actually worked on the toiletbowl manifold.....

As for the Techtonic exhaust, $600 seems very steep. Their basic alumnized exhausts are in the range of $2-300 and are very easy to install. I wouldn't mess with getting an aftermarket manifold/downpipe because they should be available dirt cheap used (even the dual manifold/downpipe, which is pretty darn good). I think the catback is a bargain if you are looking for a simple quick replacement for the entire exhaust. The exhaust is not in anyway flashy (it just looks like a standard exhaust but all the pipes are a little bigger -- 2.25" maybe?). It is louder, but its not fart can/ricer kid louder. You can add an extra resonator (factory option) if you are really concerned about noise. Eurosport is also another alternative, I had one of them for a while, I think its quieter than Techtonics. With out any other mods, I wouldn't expect an aftermarket exhaust to gain you much, but the combination of it and the dual manifold/downpipe might give you a 5% power boost.

Checkout

if you are looking for good prices on Techtonics stuff

Reply to
<no

A few last things: I spoke with a guy from a local vw auto store, T Hoff. He seemed to think that since I had a 4door, not a 2door, golf that I would have trouble with things lining up correctly lengthwise.

My exhaust currently has a 2" cat, will I be able to use it with a dual downpipe? Also, the catback from techtonics that I'm looking at is #253.410. It says will fit 50mm (~2") but it is a 2.25" pipe, is this a non-issue?

If you have time, how do these look?

you've all been a big help,

-Matt

Reply to