92 Jetta 1.8l stumbles under load

Hi there. Over the last couple of weeks, my 1992 Jetta (1.8 gas w/AC, ~235,000 kms) has developed a major stumbling on acceleration. It idles and cruises just fine, and in neutral I can bring the RPM up to any point and hold it steady, but under load (accelerating, going up slopes, etc) it surges and lags fairly badly. Now that our weather has warmed up a bit, it seems that once the ENGINE warms up to normal operating temp, the stumbling goes away somewhat, though after leaving the engine off for a few minutes and then starting again, the surging is back.

Just replaced the spark plugs (though I think it still has the original wires), and I've followed Bentley's instructions on testing the airflow sensor, which checks out fine. What else should I be looking for? If vacuum leak, how do I test for that (still a bit of a newbie mechanic)?

Reply to
Lamprey

Check the intake manifold hose from the air flow meter box. It might have a crack in it that opens up when the engine twists during acceleration. Take if off and check it well!!

Reply to
One out of many daves

"One out of many daves" wrote in news:_N%ie.2715$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Thanks, I'll check that. We're talking the big thick, short hose connecting the air flow sensor to the intake manifold, yes?

Wierd thing is, in warmer weather it doesn't act up nearly as much, sometimes not at all. Wouldn't a vacuum leak (or in this case, air intake leak) act up all the time, no matter how warm/cool it is? That's what's baffling me.

Reply to
Lamprey

Have exactly the same problem on my 1993 Jetta 2.0l. Acts up in the morning when it's cooler, not so bad in the PM. Changed the air filter, switched to Sunoco 94 high octane gas, but the same issue.

Reply to
angusbn

Yes on the 1992 Jetta, that big thick hose.

Can you scan codes on the 93 Jetta? I have yet to see one, which I consider very strange to have not seen any 1993 VWs ever! lol Maybe a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor, bad 02 sensor or a weak/bad ign. coil.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yep they're out there but '93 was a delayed intro year for the A3s. They didn't hit showrooms until spring of '93 in the US.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks Matt B, I finally saw a 1993 VW and it was a Cabriolet (Rabbit Convertible).

Now I need to find an A3 somewhere! lol later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1