92 Passat Smoke

I have a 92 Passat. 4 Dr sedan - Manual with 5 speed.

Anyway - car is running fine - until the other day when what I thought was electrical smoke starting coming in around the dash.

Needless to say - I stopped the car and had it towed home.

Took the dash apart last night and found no wires or melted elctrical items. Started back up and after about 10 minutes the smoke started again. This time I could see that it was coming from the center vent Not real thick - but steady.

What could be causing this? I had the hood up and no smoke that I saw was being generated around the intake area.

I suppose I will have to finsh taking the rest of the dash apart to see those vents - but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Heater Core? Does it smell sweet and seem like oil on the inside of the windshield?

dave

Yeah it does smell sorta sweet. It just is not real thick smoke.

What is the cost of replacing that?

Reply to
Robert

IIRC roughly about 8 hours labor plus $100 for the heater core

You can look at some Passat Dash Removal pictures here:

dave

You might want to check and see if your car is covered under the recall from a few years back...e-mail me for more info....

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman