'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2

I've got a Jetta III that the check engine light comes on after starting. After searching and reading a few threads, I found the "shorting" plug under the rear seat. I've tried reading the codes, but it appears I don't have the correct procedure.

Could someone tell me the procedure how to read the codes and how to clear them? Also, how many codes will it store? I haven't taken it to a dealer since they broke one the clips holding the distributor cap (long story).

TIA.

Reply to
Gary Beck

Autozone may check it free for you.

dave

The manual for the '95 Jetta has a step by step guide to using that thing... You have to count the MIL blinkcodes and reference the DTC table in the manual or whatever you may have. I have 2 Jettas and can only get that procedure to work on one of them... Turn key on, Turn key off, Turn back on, blah-blah... Man, I'd trade in my 25 cent blink' O' Meter for a nice high-tech scantool anyday... But where's the adventure in that?

n>I've got a Jetta III that the check engine light comes on after

XXninjatooXX - Man, every time I Farfegnugen it costs me a couple hundred bucks... Can't help but love my VeeDubs:

1995 Jetta III GL 2.0L 5sp, White, modified suspension and chipped. 1995 Jetta III GLS 2.0L 5sp, Black, Rebuild with modified GTI front-end.
Reply to
XXninjatooXX

XXninjatooXX - Man, every time I Farfegnugen it costs me a couple hundred bucks... Can't help but love my VeeDubs:

1995 Jetta III GL 2.0L 5sp, White, modified suspension and chipped. 1995 Jetta III GLS 2.0L 5sp, Black, Rebuild with modified GTI front-end.
Reply to
XXninjatooXX

just download shareware vagcom and get a cable off ebay

Reply to
Lee

wow talk about a reply from years in the past (2003)! lol There is also an inexpensive code reader for the OBDI vehicles too on Ebay. Not as informative as the vag-com tools, but it is not expensive. Definitely cheaper than going to the dealer one time to have the codes read. Someone just bought one to use on his 94 Passat and he says it works! this MIGHT be it although his came from the USA with the 2x2 adapter.

this is the one I think that he bought

One out of many daves