concern over loud front end buzz, 84 rabbit gti

last week i had a lot of noise coming from my front drivers side wheel, and determined that it was the wheel bearing going out, and had it replaced - no problemo, right?

well since then, over the course of the past week, a new noise has developed - more specifically, a loud buzz. at first i thought that it was the same wheel bearing, a bad one, or something went wrong at the shop that put it in for me, so i had them jack it up again and check it out, bearing was tight, wheel spun fine. they also checked the other one to be sure, and it was okay, too. there was a little bad spot on a rear drivers side tire, so i put on the spare hoping that was the source of my noise.

it wasn't.

it's hard to describe a noise, but i'll do my best. it is definitely a low buzzing sound, but pretty loud. i first notice it at ~ 35 mph, and it increases in volume as i go faster. it's coming from the front - at first i thought the drivers side wheel, but now that i listen more i believe it's closer to the center, as i can feel the vibration quite strongly at the gas pedal. pressing on the clutch makes no difference. when i turn the wheel to the left, it diminishes. turning to the right doesn't seem to make it any louder tho. when i slow down, i can hear the buzz getting lower (and slower) all the way till i stop...

i've just won a bentley (and 2 other books) on ebay. but looking thru my clymer and haynes, i haven't found much direction....

any ideas?

Reply to
Erick Merganser

Replace the bearing again.

Occam's razor.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

Rear wheel bearings. Replace all rear bearings and problem may go away. I had a 84 GTI that seemed to eat right rear bearings. About

100,000 miles before it would go bad. Bear>Replace the bearing again.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

New bearings just don't come bad from the factory. If the hub was not worn and it was installed correctly, then it should be quiet. Rear bearings can fool the ear, so make sure it's not from the rear. Have someone ride in the back seat.

Reply to
Woodchuck