95 Jetta reverse problem

Can someone help me? I bought my 95 Jetta III 2 years ago with 88000 mi. The reverse was making a loud noise when backing up which the dealer said was normal and later found out that it is common. Now the reverse will not back up at all and it is grinding. I think it might be from hitting a curb or is that a coincidence. Is it as simple as a locating bolt (something involved with the axle)?? How much should I expect to spend fixing? Has anyone heard of this problem and do you have a solution??

Reply to
SteveVW

Automatic? Manual?

It depends. If this noise is similar to a "whine", then yes, it is common. Has to do with type of gears used in the gearbox, they do not like to turn backwards.

It could be many things, and I coincidently gave my crystal ball away for a polishing....

Can you even select the reverse? If it is a manual gearbox, does the stick move as usual?

Reply to
draugaz