96 Jetta Gas 5 Speed

I am looking at buying a 96 Jetta 5speed. It is a gas model. The care is in great shape and has a little over 80,000 miles on it. I drive over 100 miles a day and need a car that is good on gas and doesn't cost me a mint when I buy it. Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about this car? I am especially interested in the fuel economy. Thanks.

Reply to
Zane Warren

Figure low 20's for the MPG. Other than that something will break on the car!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'd stay away from 96 Jettas. I've known 3 people that have had them (maybe a 97 in there) and they seem unusually failure-prone, especially in the electricals. Get a 2000 or newer or an older model that's easier to work on.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

I say 96 is Great.. its the frist year the Jetta was ODBII so you can diagnose things faily simple. Get yourself a old laptop that will run win 9x & Vag Com with ODb2 plug off ebay for $80 and you can do alot yourself. I will admit the Cross Flow Intake makes it tuff to get to the plugs tho. on the ABA Engine

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Doesn't matter what year or model, they all break!

Reply to
Woodchuck

If it is a 4 cyl it should get at least mid 20's in the winter and 30+ in the summer.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I agree. The A3s are lighter than the A4s and IMO easier to work on at home. The plugs are not that hard to change once you know how.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My experience has been good... until today - I think the trans and clutch are dead. I have a 96 that I purchased with 45k and its now at 125k...

Reply to
Leo