'96 Jetta Problem

My son has been having problems with a 96 Jetta, 2.0L, 5M - check engine light. Local garage scanned code, misfire on cyl #1. They changed the usual electrical stuff: plugs, cap, rotor, wires. He took it out on the road, and its doing the same thing. He says its usually happening around

3000RPM, no power and stuttering. Anyone know of any common Jetta problems to look for? I assume it may be time to tackle the fuel side of things. He's away at college, so I hate to send him to a VW dealer on his budget.
Reply to
Mike W

I once had a Jeep that did the same thing. Turned out, I hadn't checked the spark plugs for damage before I put them in.

Reply to
dwood