Windage Tray vs. Oil Pan Restrictor on '94 A3 Jetta

Hey all, I tried searchin through archives around here but couldn't find any good info on this. My Roommate's 1994 2.0L Jetta GL needed an new oil pan gasket. After the PITA of gettin it off we discovered a metal shield with the gasket attached. This, as it turns out, is called a Windage Tray (VW Part #051-103-623). However in the process of getting that out we broke the clips on the plastic baffle which separates the Windage Tray from the Oil Pump pickup (VW Part# 055-115-221-B). Come to find out from the dealership though that they don't use the Windage Tray anymore and recommend what they call a Restrictor (VW Part#

037-115-220-B) because they had too many problems getting the Tray out and apparently because the gasket is attached once its out it has to be fully replaced. I can kinda see why because we had to take out the Oil Pump just to get the Tray out and the gasket is glued on there.

So our problem now is what route should we take? We could order a new Windage Tray but I don't know how well that plastic piece will hold up and am not sure if its possible to obtain a new one. Or we could go with the Restrictor and then have to use a normal gasket. Keep in mind he doesn't have much money, so whatevers cheaper in the long run is better.

Reply to
Disco Bubba

Just fix it with the correct parts from VW! It's a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u

hmmm I have seen a '95 Jetta 2.0 auto without the Windage Tray and running well. The oil pan was "curbed", the windage tray broke off was ground up and then the pieces blocked the oil pump pick up causing oil pressure problems. The oil pan was removed and beat back into shape, the pieces were removed from the pickup and anywhere else that was visible. No problems with oil after everything was put back together again with just a new oil pan gasket, oil and filter. That same engine, with over 150K miles, then towed a small but heavy trailer from Chicago to L.A. a few years back. All is good to the best of my knowledge.....well at least with the engine! lol

Torque those oil pan bolts down correctly!!!!

Reply to
One out of many Daves