'97 Golf stalling after brief rests following long drives

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem or can help.

I am finding that my 97 Golf is stalling (in any gear/speed) after it has been turned off for a short peroid of time following an extended driving time (at least half an hour). it will run for several hundred meters and then stall. this will happen several times. the radio/lights remain on but the engine stalls.

if i start the car after more than 30 minutes following driving i have no problem and can drive long distances. If i drive a short distance, stop the car for a short period of time then it restarts and then runs fine.

it sounds temperature related, but there is plenty of coolant and and the temperature guage is in the mid range. it has had a recent service and oil change (+new sparkplugs) 300 miles (500kms) before the problems began.

there are no clunking sounds and the engine when running sounds as healthy as always.

i would greatly appreciate any help on this matter,

cheers, chris

Reply to
chrisando

Not a clue sorry but take it back to the garage you got it serviced, they might look at it for free, if not pressure them a little

Reply to
Joe

LOL I knew somebody was going to say this. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker