'97 Jetta - rewire radio to bypass ignition switch

My ignition switch is flakey. For a year I could run the radio in ANY position (even without key), now I can run it only in one small sweet spot which is NOT normal operating position...

so....

since no other function of the switch is affected & I am real low on funds...

the Bentley shows the radio wired to 1 signal on the ignition switch. All I need do is splice that lead from the radio to an appropriate power source.

Has anyone done this ???

...eric

Reply to
eric w

I did something like this on my 87 Jetta. Only I used the "always on" power at the radio connector (that keeps it from forgetting the time and such). I fused it and ran it to a rocker switch that I placed discretely under the dash so I could also switch it off for extended periods of time.

However.....

The dodgey ignition switch may also affect your ability to use things like headlights, warning chimes etc. Replacement switches are only about CAD$30 at the dealer and it is not a big job to replace the switch. A google search of the topic should reveal a post (by me!) on the how to's. See also Pencilneck's awesome site (for A2's, though).

Reply to
Anthony Brown

Well..you could do it. But spend a few bucks on a switch to put in there. The radio operates at different "levels" depending on the power it's receiving. If you just wire it right to a source, chances are you'll end up eventually draining your battery, whether the radio is on or not. Switches are cheap. Make sure you get one with a proper amperage rating. Good luck..have fun.

--Andy P

Reply to
Andy Pronobis

unfortunately on the A3s, switch replacement requires extracting the airbag & is a labor intensive operation.

thanks for your help.

...eric

Reply to
eric w

Eric - I would recommend getting a circuit tester (multimeter) borrowing one or buying a cheap one? (The UK have them availiable for less than £10 ($16?) ) There will be a perm live from somewhere near the radio - the cigar lighter for one might have a perm live. With the tester you'll be able to find one easily and quickly. If your radio is fused independantly (all generally are) then you should be fine - otherwise a cheap in-line fuse for a couple of dollars would do well.

Reply to
Michael McL

Thanks to everyone for replying... the solution is pasted below for anyone in a similar situation.

It turns out the signal from the ignition switch merely operates a relay in the radio. (consult Bentley for doc )....

If anyone wants an always on radio (like older VWs) or loses the ignition switch function, my mod works! (I just hope the important functions of ignition switch continue to work :))

and it DOES!

...eric

Reply to
eric w