'98 Golf shimmy

I have a '98 Golf with about 40,000 miles. Recently, I noticed that at highway speeds I'm getting a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. My first thought was that the wheels were out of balance, so I had them balanced. The problem still occurs though. At around 65 or 70MPH, the vibration will hit. But then sometimes it will be smooth at those speeds. Around town, at lower speeds, I don't notice any problem. Could this be alignment? Any ideas on what else to check?

Thanks for any feedback.

-=- Tom

Reply to
Tom D

Could be suspension related... I had the same problem b/c of bad strut mounts. Just a thought.

Reply to
93 Fox

I would check the balljoints, tierod ends and strut bearings. Keep in mind that the strut bearings will have a couple of inches of up/down movement when you lift the car, this is normal (unless you support the car via the lower control arm).

The alignment itself will not cause a vibration, but if you replace a tie rod end or balljoint, you would be most wise to have an alignment performed.

Reply to
Pencilneck