87 german Jetta startup probs, and Stalling in humid conditions

When I start the engine(cold), it hesitates, acts as if it's going to die, then picks up. It will then hesitate once I give it gas.. but once I rev it for about 3-5 seconds, it seems to solve the problem. (This also happens on occasion(maybe once a month, while I'm driving the car.. I will get some heistation when driving in humid weather, and when I press on the gas, it acts as if it wants to die, but if I take it out of gear, and rev it for a second or so, the problem seems to be solved. once I put it back in gear.)

I have replaced the fuel filter, and this seemed to help some. The spark plugs have been replaced 3 mos. ago, but not the wires.(didn't have the $$ at the time) The fuel pump relay is good, I've tested it in another VW of same make/model year. Could it be the fuel strainer at the fuel pump being clogged? Timing problem? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Larry

Reply to
LC