98 Golf Speedometer ??

My sister's 98 Golf (2.0 w/auto) just started having problems with the speedo. She reports she was driving when it just went dead. She further indicated that when she accelerated, the gas gauge needle rose...and when she let off the gas, the gas gauge needle sunk back to normal. At a steady speed it read around half tank. Tach seems to be fine.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?? I need to investigate further tomorrow...but just thought I'd ask if anyone had heard of such a thing.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Reply to
Tony Bad

For the speedometer, I would guess that it might be the vehicle speed sensor...however, the issue with the gas gauge could be either the voltage regulator, or the entire cluster itself...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

sensor...however, the issue with the gas gauge could be either the voltage regulator, or the entire cluster itself...<

They're inter-related. (I found out the hard way.) Fix the speed sensor (on the final drive in the transmission) and the fuel gauge will start acting normally again.

Reply to
Sid Schweiger