2004 laSabre gauges bad

Hi,

i am just a tourist on this ng but i was hoping someone might help me out... i have a 2004 Buick LaSabre, which i bought new, whose gauges do not work properly and some not at all. at first it was just the speedo needle would not return to zero but it would move relative to where it had stopped. now it always just sticks at 180 mph. the tach is similar but will usually settle back to zero, the gas gauge does not move at all, (good this it has a trip odo). all these are annoying but there are work arounds. however, most important is the temp gauge, at times it reads very hot and it is disturbing to keep driving wondering if it is the gauge or something is really bad, (would the idiot lite show if it were really bad?). this started just past warrenty and the dealer would replace the cluster for a large amout of money, (they would not even give me a couresty diag for good faith that was very disappointing). it has been a while but i seem t oremembering every thing settling back to normal when the battery was disconnected,

so i wonder if i am the only person to experience this? is there a fix at a reasonable cost in time/money? it seems like it might be a ground issue but i hesitate to fiddle with the electronic cluster. is the cluster easy to extract?

i appreciate your time, peter

Reply to
peter

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Sadly, no. Had similar problems on two other GM cars

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

sooo, we get to just live with it??? peter

Reply to
peter

sooo, we get to just live with it??? peter

Reply to
peter

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

I did. Not an easy fix.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

one or both of these sources discribe the diag/repair specificly? while i have done various mechanical tasks including head gasket on 97 bonnie, , heater core and remove and rebuild 95 miata drive train owning old mini's and mustangs, read schematics isnt somethings that comes to me with anything under pain :). thanks for the help guys...too bad our dealer/manufacturers arent as helpful. peter

Reply to
peter