98 golf transmission problems

Hey folks,

I have a 98 Golf, automatic transmission, 80 000km.

At first, while accelerating from a stop, the car would go into neutral after 1st gear, needing to pull over until going back into gear. This could go on 3 or 4 times in a row. Mt local garage messed with something and fixed the problem but it modified the shifting at higher RPM's. Different but problem gone.

Since then, 6 months ago, the transmission does not shift while going up hills at any speeds. We have to let go of the gas to make the car shift into proper gear...very annoying.

The local garage and a transmission expert can't find the problem and suggest to take out the transmission and ship it to the hearest vw tranny expert...not less than $3000 can.

What's up with shot transmission on a 80000km car?

Anyone having similar symptoms and suggestions to rectify?

Thanks in advance.

Serge Dupuis

Reply to
Serge Dupuis

Change the ATF fluid with the proper fluid and reset the ECM/TCM. Might be a problem with the settings of the throttle position sensor and the trans. Just guessing here. Do you have access to a vag-com tool? ( ross-tech.com )

I had problems with my '91 B3's trans and it was wiring and sensors.

Have you owned it since new? How long is the warranty in your area for your year Golf?

Reply to
One out of many Daves