99 Golf TDI...your thoughts?

Hi ppl...I placed a deposit on a 99 Golf TDI today. I have a Ford F350 Truck, also a diesel, & the valve train is rather noisy, but sounds just like all the other F-Series diesels i've heard, so i'm assuming it's normal. The TDI Golf i purchased today (waiting on title to finalize the deal) is the noisiest diesel i've ever heard. It sounds like there's a handful of nuts & bolts bouncing around in the engine. Is this normal??? I got a steal on the car ($6,600 for automatic 2 door w/ 85K miles) The engine was replaced just 2 weeks ago with a re-man engine from VW in Germany...not a cheap local rebuild. A receipt comes with the car. He paid $4,500 having the engine replaced. I saw the invoice myself. Also the new engine has a transferable warranty for 12 months, 12K miles. The owner wrecked the original engine by running up on a curb, unknowingly knocking a hole in the oil pan, then proceeded to drive until it locked up from lack of oil. As far as the engine noise, the owner "assures me" that the rattling & chattering from the engine are "normal" and nothing to worry about. Your thoughts / advice are welcome.

Reply to
David

If you think you're TDi is loud, you ought to hear my 95 Golf IDI diesel! I pulled into a Tim Hortons drive-thru the other day and shut it off like I normally do. The lady on the speaker said, "Thank you for shutting off your truck!"

The TDi's that I have heard are fairly quiet, but could it be related to the fact that you have a re-man and it is just breaking in??

The other thing that I could think of is - what oil is in the car. TDi's are supposed to have a full synthetic and maybe you have a regular oil in there. Ity may not like that. I am assuming you are talking mostly about noise at idle.

Dave C

Reply to
David Cotie

Yes it does quiet down a lot at 2~3K rpm, but at idle you can hear it running from 100 ft away. As far as the oil type, I'm sure it has the recommended oil type in it, being a fresh engine just 2 weeks old, installed by VW at a VW dealership here in Atlanta. I'm glad the engine has a 1yr warranty tho...just in case something was assembled wrong in the new engine. I might have to get a 400 watt stereo amp so i can hear the radio tho...

Reply to
David

I have both also, 2002 F350, and a 1998 Jetta TDI, and mine DO NOT sound like the have a handfull of bolts in them.

I would be very concerned if that's what mine sounded like. Have you checked the oil level in the TDI? Maybe when they engines are brand new they are a bit louder, neither of my vehicles were purchased new.

I would make sure the warranty was transferred just in case.

Not to re-direct, but are you sure your F350, I am assuming it's a PowerStroke, is valve train noise, and not the dreaded "cackle"? Mine get's noisier as the tank gets closer to empty, meaning it's sucking a bit of air. I get around having to drop the tank and reseal the quick disconnects by never running the tank past 1/4.

-- Rod

1998 Jetta TDI 1993 Jetta 2.0l 2002 F-350 PSD

David wrote:

Reply to
cervelorod

Yes they are noisy, but the pump timing may be advanced a bit too much. Any "good" VW dealer can check it in under 1 hour.

Reply to
Lost In Space

Thanks for the fast response guys, you've been very helpful. My F-350 is an old '84 model rollback wrecker w/ the 6.9 V8. It's just an old beater I use to drag junk cars to the recycling for extra cash. I've never really thought about the source of the noise in it much, it starts good, runs good, & gets me where I'm going. Thats all I ask of a 21yo wrecker, ya know what I mean? Whether it's a rattle or a cackle?..not quite sure, but until it starts giving me probs...i aint worrying about it 8-)

Reply to
David

My 1999.5 Golf TDI Automatic is pretty loud at idle, louder then a full sized diesel pickup truck... louder then my friends 1991 Jetta TD actually... The newer models, especially the Pumpe Duese models are a LOT quieter.

Reply to
Rob Guenther