'99 Jetta key remote

My seventeen year-old daughter has a 1999 Jetta. Every time she tries to unlock the car the alarm goes off. She's begun to leave the car unlocked at night. (Not a good thing to do in St. Louis... the #1 crime city in America.) I told her that she probably needs to replace the remote control battery on the advice of a local dealership.

Problem: She lives with her Mom 400 miles from here and I can't help much. When she went to a dealership to have the battery replaced they told her that they couldn't open the remote without risking breaking it. Seems the previous owner glued it together. I told her to let them break it and then glue it back together again but she was told that if they break the case they may break the remote function.

What to do? (A new remote and key costs nearly $300!)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
russschell

Ebay is your friend. Use the search function. The result is still pricey, but should be a bit less then $300.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

If you want a new one:

...have one for $45...although it doesn't have a panic button. Or as others have said, you can get a used "switchblade" unit on ebay and swap the original metal key part to it.

AFAIK, when you have a new key made at the dealer, you have to take ALL your keys with you because they ALL have to be reprogrammed for the immobilizer function at the same time.

However, I suspect that the alarm going off doesn't have anything to do with the remote battery. Perhaps she could try reprogramming the alarm system for the car. The procedure should be in the owner's manual.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin