A/C problem/Question on 1987 Golf GTI

Hello all. I have a 1987 Golf GTI that I just picked up for a song. It Runs great with the exception of the A/C. The compressor does not come on. I removed the R-12 from the sytem and retrofitted the low pressure fitting for R-134a. The problem being that since the compressor is not coming on, I can't recharge the system. I have a very large Bentlley manual and have run through the schematics. So far, I am getting an "open" reading on both the high pressure and low pressure switch. I jumped out the low pressure switch (the schematics indicate that is should be normally closed) and the radiator fan came on but still no voltage reading at the compressor. The only thing left between the LPS and the compressor is the thermostat. My question is this, so far, is my troubleshooting sound? Also, where is the thermostat located so I can test it. I looked for the wiring harness that would lead to it where I thought it might be.....near the firewall but nada. Is it in the engine compartment and if it is, where....or is it under the dash and if so...where and do I have to dismantle the dash to get to it? WHEW!!

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Oh, by the way, I was reading another post regarding the placement of the low pressure port and as I see it, the port is on the low pressure tubing coming from the evaporator at the firewall on the passenger side beside the strut tower. Is this incorrect?

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

The VWVortex forum can probably provide the answer. The participants are a great bunch.

Reply to
Papa

Thanks Papa!!

Reply to