A3 ignition switch repair

Anyone have helpful hints on replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch on a '98 Jetta Wolfsburg? It's gotten to the point where the headlights won't come on anymore (and sometimes not the fan, radio, etc). Can't jiggle the keys anymore and get it to work.

I've torn into an A2 column to replace the turn signal switch, but that didn't have an airbag. I'm more than a little concerned about an airbag going off as I have my chest (or face) next to the steering wheel....

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf '98 Jetta

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

Get a Bentley repair manual!!! It might help with the procedure and give you some safe instructions.

Someone had told me that some of the A3/A4 VWs were recalled for the ign. switch. Not sure of the years but they owned either a Golf or Jetta with the TDI engine.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1