help with electrical on my gti

i need help w/ the electrical on my gti. please help me!

i have a 95' gti vr6. I was driving home and all of the sudden the radio stops working. when i got home i shut her off. now she wont start.

When I open the door the 4-way emergency flashers come on, but they are not turned on. After a wile they go off tho.

When you turn the key nothing happens except the check engine light and that stuff comes on. The radio works now. The battery is charged. I am really confused.

i dont know what to do. please help me. im a 16 year old student

my e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
dave

Sounds like your alarm is activated but the alarm horn must not be functioning but the lights flash. The alarm should have a starter cutoff disabling the starter.

This might happen due to a defective alarm module, door lock, or wiring. Do all of the doors unlock when you unlock the driver's door? Do the locks try to relock once you try to start the engine?

Not sure of the radio though unless maybe the ign. switch has issues or the radio does. I have had to repair a few radios like yours, so it might be the radio. Just a coinincidence maybe!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The ignition switch in those cars are notorious for going bad. There are two parts to that switch, a mechanical section and an electrical section. You can confirm this diagnosis by moving the key up and down / back and forth to see if things start / stop working.

I thought about replacing mine, but then I noticed that there was a big airbag that was against my chest while I was playing w/ the wires... uh, yeah, it went to the dealer. $200.

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf '98 Jetta

Reply to
geek49203

AFAIK Some of the VWs had a recall on the ignition switches! Not sure of the years & models though.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

ok so if that is the problem then wear is the cut off for the alarm? can i just pull a fuse? or is there something else.

only my door unlocks when i unluck the door. all doors do not lock or try to lock when i start the engine before or after problem.

thanks for the help but i need some more so please write back.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
dave

Did you take a look at my post?

If you do something like pull the fuse, cut the wire, etc then you have one new problem to go along w/ the problem you didn't solve. That new problem might be something that a tech will look for (who looks for cut wires??), so the fix will be that much tougher.

Tim Wohlford

Reply to
geek49203

There is no "cut-off" switch for the alarm AFAIK. The way to "bypass" the alarm is to remove the alarm module, behind the headlight switch, and jump the wires for the starter together. Like Tim says............cut no wires!! But I suspect the previous owner has already cut wires, or at the very least disconnected the alarm horn.

The reason I ask about the doors locking by themselves or not being able to unlock/lock all doors it a preliminary check of the wiring to the driver's door. I have seen some broken door harness wires create havoc with the alarm and door locks.