'95 850GLT Ignition switch question

Hi all,

I've managed to finally figure out that several of the anomalous problems I've had are related to the ignition switch. If I jiggle the key a bit after I start the car the the turn signals work, the daytime running lights come on, the ABS light goes out, and shift lock comes off.

In my mind it seems the answer is to replace the ignition switch and that means dealing with the dealer and getting new keys... please tell me I'm wrong!

If this is the sort of thing that might be reparable I'll pull the steering column apart and have a look. It just seems some of the conn tion points are either worn or slightly out of alignment.

Any suggestions or experiences warmly welcomed.

Thanks in advance, blurp

Reply to
blurp

The problem you have is not with the lock, it's with the switch. The lock is the part activated by the key. The switch is the part activated by the lock. I think you WILL have to deal with the dealer since nobody else will likely carry a Volvo-specific electronic part.

Were this *my* problem, I would certainly contact the dealer and find out what's involved.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

I got my replacement ignition switch from one of the mail-order (internet) Volvo parts places for about $40. It was an easy fix: take the plastic shroud off the steering column, pull the connector off the switch, replace it, and put the shroud back together. All told, it took about 30 minutes and no, it didn't require any new keys or dealer interaction.

Afterwards all the weird electrical problems were fixed.

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Electric Part. Switches are not electronic unless they "operate with the aid of many small components, esp. microchips and transistors, that control and direct an electric current".

Excuse my anal comment, but I worked in the electronics industry designing electronic components for 27 years and I found an opportunity for a mini-lesson.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

"Electric Part." is not a complete sentence :).

John

Reply to
John Horner

Well the local jobbers want $135 for the part and I cringe at what the dealer must want. Where did you order the part? I can't find it on FCPGroton and RockAuto's shipping is $50 alone.

Thanks, Boris

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:40:41 -0400, the illustrious "Robert Lutwak" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Here it is on Eeuroparts.com for $46 (OEM Volvo part):

I've bought from them several times and been entirely satisfied every time. I think they provide free shipping if you order more than $50.

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Thanks Robert, but it ends up the same as Rockauto... they only ship UPS and UPS charges a $50 brokerage fee at the border (I'm in Canada).

I'll keep looking for a Canadian parts supplier or one that doesn't ship UPS.

Thanks! blurp

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:07:07 -0400, the illustrious "Robert Lutwak" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Indeed, UPS is a rip off for this sort of thing. If using a US company you want to find one who will ship via the postal mail. For small things the post office is much cheaper and easier to use than is UPS.

I think I might have a solution for you! autohausaz.com. They show the OE Volvo ignition switch at US$62.32. I've bought from them several times and found this on their website:

Alternately, have you tried calling IPD to ask if they will do so?

800-444-6473 or 503-257-7500. Considering they are in Oregon then perhaps they are accustomed to doing business into Canada.
Reply to
John Horner

Thaniks John, I'll give them a try and add them to my links list!

Cheers, blurp

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:55:13 GMT, the illustrious John Horner favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp