A4 TDI turbo replacement

anyone in upstate new york know of a good independant mechanic who could replace my turbo?

Langan VW tells me the wastegate won't stay closed so they want to swap the turbo for $1600.00. not the best news i've heard.

Reply to
manapy

Go to

and ask there.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

That's funny, because I don't think the A4 TDi has a wastegate. Get a second opinion.

--Andy

Reply to
Andrew

The A4 TDI's don't have a wastegate. Run to another tech to have the problem diagnosed properly.

BTW, what's the problem?

Reply to
Sir Spamalot

i had heard that but this article

, as well as references from the Haynes manual indicates that it does. the problem is poor acceleration. i have a good MAF, my intake is clean. There is no turbo whine from my exhaust even after driving on the highway. Langan in VW is telling me the wastegate isn't closed. The above article seems to support that conclusion. What else could it be?

Thanks for any insight

--graham

manapy wrote:

Reply to
manapy

Check out Fred's

and search for turbo actuator. There is a servo (for lack of a better word) on the turbo that "opens" and "closes" the variable vanes to speed up and slow down the turbine. The link from the servo goes into the turbo and has a tendancy to carbon up, which may cause the turbo to not function correctly.

Good Luck!!

Reply to
Sir Spamalot

Reply to
manapy

get this

me and one of the ppl from fred's got together this morning and looked at the car. he discovered that the check valve on the vacuum line leading from the reservoir to the booster and the rest of the system was stuck. so we cleaned it out with PCB cleaner and guess what?

the turbo works now! there was no vacuum getting to the actuator to make it work! once the valve was cleaned out, the actuator could move the vanes and suddenly i have boost again. no 1600.00 job from langan. didnt even have to replace the check valve.

i am psyched!

manapy wrote:

Reply to
manapy