99.5 Jetta TDI For Sale

Anyone interested in purchasing a 99.5 Jetta in need of a new turbo? Actually, my mechanic tells me the turbo is fine, but something to do with the wastegate is broken. Spent a week now trying everyone from Garrett to Ebay trying to find the one bolt on part. I refuse to pay $1,000 for the whole turbo from VW. Car has 122,000 miles, brand new Pirelli P-4's were just put on it last month. Car was purchased brand new and is in good, not excellent condition (a few small dings on exterior and a juice cup spill or two on interior) . Timing belt was replaced 35,000 miles ago. Air intake sensor replaced 6 months ago. I am NOT a TDI enthusiast, or fan for that matter. Car can be seen in Rhode Island. $5,800 firm as it sits.

Reply to
Jon Burrows

Rob Guenther

The part, which I am told by my mechanic as the waste gate actuator may not be such at all. Reading several replies over the past few days (Joe, Rob, Dan) the part may be something different all together... and maybe I need a new mechanic? The part, which has a aprox 3" rod coming out of what appears to be a vacuum canister maybe 3 inches in diameter and about 2 inches high. I am told the part is designed to open and close something by vacuum... if it is defective then the turbo runs away.. Apparently their part is in the closed position as the turbo never kicked in for the past few weeks causing the car to have almost no power beyond 40mph. I have checked with junk yards, however I have been told by several that they will not sell that one part off the turbo, instead wanting to get 500 for the used turbo complete understandably. I have found a rebuilder of turbo's that will swap mine for

500.00. Do I really want to sell it? Absolutely if I am unable to find the simple part as my ROI is out the window. I purchased the car attracted to the longevity of the engine and the fuel economy. The repairs however have negated any of these benefits to date. Would be more than happy to sell it and buy a Toyota.
Reply to
Jon Burrows

Yah, I can see how this is getting to be a problem. Well you only want $5800 USD for the car, if you fix the turbo you would be able to sell it for quite a bit more (you could get $10-14K CND where I live easily if its a GLS, it doesn't cost much to get a car totally cleaned and detailed, removing those unsightly juice stains... fix you car and get it cleaned before you sell it, you should be able to make good money on the sale if you do, honestly your car is a steal for $5800 IMO if all it needs is a few hundred bucks in repairs). Making the $500 worth it for the complete turbo. I am really surprised you can't find anyone who will sell the part. If you lived in Ontario I could give you the name of an Audi/VW guy that I am pretty damn sure could fix your car... He seems to be able to get any part.

Toyota as a replacement - not a bad idea, according to their ads they seem to almost get as good fuel economy... and they seem to last. I just really don't like them all that much, no excitement from them.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Trade it in when you buy your new vehicle. The miles will hurt you and if they really inspect it, so will the turbo damage.

If it's a real pig sty, leave it like it is when you trade it in an you will have a good chance the used car sales manager won't drive it.

Some people can really be pigs and drive $hit boxes on wheels that stink like the juice spilling on the road from a garbage truck.

Old juice cup spills...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Peter... does your mother still make you sit on only the plastic covered chairs when you visit... Sorry my shit box doesnt smell like yours.. a mix of Armor All, Carnauba wax and KY jelly no doubt...

Reply to
Jon Burrows

Hey Jon, Been looking for a TDI for a few weeks. I'd definately be interested in it right now, since I'd like to swap out the factory turbo as it is. I'll email you in a bit to find out more. I'm located in New York... Thanks Chris

Reply to
zeeto