MSM intake parts replacement

All....I'm in a bit of a funk. I want to replace the rubber inlet pipe on the 04 MSM, and I see two variants available. One, by bell engineering, looks to be a direct fit if I only want to replace the intake elbow and nothing else. The other kit by FM comes with a new bypass valve, and costs more as a result.

I like the appearance of the FM part, but it does not include a fitting for the wastegate signal line(?) FM says to move it. I don't have a degree in automotive engineering so I don't know what the possible ramifications are to moving the wastegate signal to another fitting past the throttle butterfly versus moving it close to the turbo outlet pipe. Both, according to FM, are options you can use to remedy the relocation of the wastegate line.

The BEGI part, no offense, looks rather crude. But, the directions look pretty straightforward, and BEGI goes so far as to recommend cleaning the engine before installation with a high-pressure carwash nozzle. Obviously, good advice if you can keep the water out of the plug holes.

But then down towards the bottom of the install directions BEGI says, and I quote "Do not use soaps or cleaners on the tube as it can remove the powder coating." !?!? They advocate a pressurized soap stream to clean the engine but then tell you not to use it on the part you just installed? Seriously?

Has anyone installed the BEGI inlet? Has the powder coating come off? Have you degreased your engine since installation? How about the FM kit, if you use that one what do you do for the wastegate signal line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I have one of the FMII Turbo kits that used BEGI powder coated piping. Really harsh cleaners will discolor the powder coat (In my case red powder coating)

I can't say that cleaning with an engine cleaner is safe either. Really, this is the problem with almost any engine paint. Make sure that the inside of the pipe is clean before you use it.

As to where the waste gate signal should come from - - The MSM has a factory ECU "tuned" with the waste gate signal coming from a factory chosen location. I would suggest keeping the same location as much as possible, and suspect that might be the best way to maintain the factory "tune" as much as possible.

There are pro and con arguments for more or less three locations. Close to or on the turbo, In the piping before the the throttle plate, and After the throttle plate.

Actually, I'd suggest that the waste gate signal should likely be at or close to the turbo, as long as the location of the input of the pressure sensor (used by the ECU) is unchanged. Many of the aftermarket turbos have a boss cast into the housing that may or may not be drilled and tapped for use as a source of the waste gate signal.

Reply to
Chuck