AC Removal in a 91 Jetta ECOdiesel

I have been reading threads related to this topic but none of them answer this problem as it relates to ECOdiesels. The AC compressor and Alternator do not use the gear toothed bolts used on gas engines and non-turbodiesels. The Compressor tensioner are adjusted with a 13mm combination wrench. You loosen a clamping bolt, then tighten the tensioner bolt, then tighten the clamping bolt to hold the tension. Next, you loosen a 17mm clamping bolt on a tensioner pulley for the Alternator, tighten the 13mm tensioning bolt which pulls the pulley toward the front of the car, thus tensioning the belt, then tightening the 17mm clamping bolt on the pulley to hold the tension.

Removing the compressor is much more of a problem in these vehicles. The bracket that holds the AC compressor tensioner also supports the power steering pump. There is no clean way to reinstall the Alternator. I'm guessing one would have to get the brackets from a non-AC Jetta diesel with power steering (does such a thing exist?) and swap them in along with the longer pulley so the belt lines up to it.

Anyone have a simpler solution? If all else fails, I will remove the injection pump, pull the AC support bracket off the engine block (two bolts are behind the inj. pump!), and drill a 7/16" hole throught the threaded holes in the bracket where the two allen head bolts use to reside. I will use a long 7/16" bolt and run it all the way through the holes to hold the compressor and use a nut with nylon insert to support the compressor.

Thanks! TEMiller

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

I don't know the answer to your question but here's some related reading for you.

?t=4567

tylernt

Thanks for the referral. The answer is in there somewhere! I just need to sort through it and figure out which way to go with what I have.

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

I have decided to remove the compressor. I also removed the tensioner bracket for the compressor and alternator. I ordered a new alternator bracket with the gear teeth used in gassers along with the gear tooth tensioning bolt. I happen to have an alternator from an 87 Golf that has the extension on the pulley so I lined it up and sure enough it aligns with the water pump-crankshaft pulleys so I will swap it onto my alternator. All I need now is a belt to drive this mess and I think it will be about a 45" belt of the 13mm or 15mm wide variety. I will keep you all posted as to my success and/or problems. Thanks! TEMiller

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

I used a 15mm wide, 45.5" belt in my conversion. Fits perfectly. Of course you're using a different bracket so that might be irrelevant for you.

I'll be very interested to see how your gear tooth bracket works (as I still think my own solution is sub-optimal).

Reply to
tylernt

I'll let you know. The alternator does not change position with the gasser tensioner bracket so my belt should be the same as yours. I will take pictures and post them when I get it together. TEMiller

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

I tossed the AC compressor on my 91 ECOdiesel and modified the alternator by installing a pulley minus the shim washer from an 87 Golf gasser alternator. This pulley has roughly a 2.25" extension from the body of the alternator. This allows the pulley to line up to the pulleys on the water pump and crankshaft. I bought an alternator tensioning bracket from VW for a 91 1.8L gas engine car and added it to the existing alternator support bar so I would have a way to tension the drive belt. I used a 1/2" x 45" belt and all works fine. If you want a picture, send me an email and I will forward a couple to you. I have 400+ miles on this setup so far. No more hardware issues with the compressor. TEMiller snipped-for-privacy@vcmails.com

Reply to
Corrado Daddy